Monday, May 11, 2009

music dependent

Jamie and I did our weekend run -- my first run in May! I drove to her place and then we drove to the forest preserve to do our run. We decided to do only 6 miles instead of the expected 7 since 3.5 miles would have been hard to measure with the poor marking system in the forest preserve. Really, we just wanted to get out of there and not run, but lets blame the system instead of ourselves.

I panicked right before we began because I realized my mp3 player was not charged. I thought to myself how did I drive ALL the way out here to the SUBURBS (no less) without checking that my little music friend was dead. Jamie offered to not run (always trying to get out of it), but I decided that we were out here -- we were going to run or at least try.

About 15 paces into the run, I was panicking. There is no way I was going to make it 6 miles without music. I started sweating (not that I wasn't already), but in a different way. In a way that I was having an out of body experience. I was realizing how ridiculously dependent I am on my music to run. As I saw Jamie get farther and farther away from me (as she tends to do with her 10:30 mile) I decided I was going to squeeze the last seconds out of my mp3 player. If I could only hear a little glimmer of "gotta gotta cut loose" I could maybe have a semi-decent start. I turned it on and the music had never sounded so good. All of a sudden, I realized I was at a mile and then 2 miles and by some higher power my music lasted the whole damn time. It was AMAZING and I ran the whole thing!

Note to myself: Always check the mp3 player before going out on a run because you are music dependent!

No comments:

Post a Comment