Monday, May 11, 2009

hydration is key

During my last mile of running this weekend, I seriously considered knocking on every door I passed to ask for a glass of water. Clearly, I was not in the right state of mind. I was dehydrated.

This weekend I was house/dog sitting and was not in my normal environment that I typically am to prep for my early run with Jamie on the weekends. I had a bowl of oatmeal and nothing to drink. I left the house to drive to Jamie's and brought nothing that resembled liquid with me. I then get to Jamie's and only down a gulp-full of water with the Ibuprofen Jamie graciously offered me before we put our bodies through hell. I realized that I had consumed absolutely no liquid this morning as I hit mile 3, which was well into the forest preserve. How could I be so silly to not drink any water? Water is everything when running. I should know this more than anyone. I get overheated so quickly that I NEED to hydrate (and hydrate well) every time I run. Needless to say, I completed the run -- 8 miles! I have 8 mile legs! I was dying at the end, but Jamie had water for me when I arrived at her house which I loved.

In the future I need to remember that H2O is my friend and it will help me complete the run without the feeling of death on my trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment