Monday, April 13, 2009

the knee that could

Our before shot:
just keep running, just keep running, just keep running running running...

This was my mantra for Saturday's run with James. I was feeling really good for the run before we left. I woke up early, had a great breakfast, and even got some reading in before we left. However, as soon as we started I knew it wasn't going to be good. We ran in the city again, however we got stopped by far less lights this time (the first half anyways) than last weekend.

I was keeping up with Jamie's pace for the first mile plus change, which is no easy venture. Jamie has been running incredible times lately -- a 10 minute mile is her average now. I am still just under 12, which I am completely happy with. Slow and steady wins the race is my motto. Once I hit mile 2, my knee was hurting and it was not about to let up. My right knee has been in the slightest amount of pain since the Shuffle -- some days it is fine, others not so much. I felt like the run back from the halfway point was less difficult than on the way there. Maybe it was because I knew I would be home soon. Although I did want to stop running and just walk the rest of the way at one point, but my knee and a little bit of willpower kept me going, so I struggled through and ran the damn 5 miles in pain. I was pretty proud of myself and my knee that I hung in there and fought it out.

Did I mention I was overheating starting in mile 2 as well? When I hit 2.5miles (Jackson and Michigan), I had to ditch my long sleeve shirt and run soccer mom style with the shirt tied around my waist. I was getting some crazy looks from tourists who were bundled up in their winter coat, gloves, and a scarf while I trotted by in a sleeveless shirt. It was 35 and sunny -- sleeveless is completely acceptable in Chicago!

I went to Target later that evening and bought myself a wrap bandage, which I shall be trying out later this week when I find time to run again.

Looking forward to: The CD with new tunes Jamie is burning me!

No comments:

Post a Comment